- When the covers to a book series change halfway through. Or at the last book.
- When people spoil books for me.
- When there isn’t a HEA.
- How not all paperbacks are the same height. Same with Hardcovers. It makes bookshelves look so messy.
- How some authors/publishers think trilogies are cool so they make books that would be perfectly fine as stand alones trilogies.
- How much battery the Kindle app uses up on my phone.
- When people question my book reading choices.
- When hyped books get too much hype and just don’t equal up…
- When a blurb basically tells you the entire plot line in a few sentences.
- That it isn’t a ‘normal’ thing for books to be released as hardcovers in Australia. We just get the paperbacks. Usually UK covers too.
- Why is it a thing that bookish people MUST love coffee or tea. I like hot chocolate. Why isn’t that a thing? Or books and lemonade?
- When you lend a book to someone (I literally only lend books to two people) and you don’t get them back for months on end…. It makes my bookshelf family miss them.
- When not all the books in a series are available in hardcover.
- Bind Up Books. I works for Novellas, but I hate it for actual full length novels.
- When protagonists are described as ‘strong’ characters but basically winge the entire book and need to be saved ALL THE TIME.
- Absent Parent Syndrome.
- Spending too long on descriptions of locations etc.. When it isn’t necessary or the characters are only in said location once for a short time.
- When an ‘ordinary’ girl gets all the boys attention. Like all of them..
- How so many characters begin to have the same appearance especially in YA.
- Pointless love triangles.
- Love triangles really..
- Abusive actions made to be romantic.
- Smirking. – Yet I still love it when the love interests do it…..
- Disabilities being miraculously fixed by books end. Unless it’s a story about overcoming it and the end is determined by the fact that they’ve overcome said disability, otherwise no.
- Multiple POVs with the same voice.
- Series’ that seem to draaaag onn forreevveerrr.
- “You’re not like other girls.” – Stop yes she is, there are millions of girls like her in the world. Just because you’re close minded and have never encountered a regular girl because you’re so busy chasing ‘the pretties’ doesn’t mean she’s some unique thing.
- Whimpy protags.
- Bad punctuation, grammar and overall editing.
- Bad plot lines.
- Really dumb protags, THE ANSWER IS GLARING AT YOU IN THE FACE!
- Ugly books covers. Say what you will, but I usually do judge a book by its cover.
- On that note; movie tie in editions. I hate books that have movie covers.
- Hurting books. Dog earing, writing on, creasing pages, whatever. NO.
- Constantly bringing up parts of appearances. “Her long blonde hair..” “His striking grey eyes..” etc..
- Unexplained skills the Protag shouldn’t have that save the day.
- When people interrupt my reading. CAN’T YOU SEE I’M AN EMOTIONAL MESS?
- When the only motivation for the protag is fate/destiny.
- REALLY small print.
- When some books are only paperback/hardocerv but then other books in the series are only ebooks.
Remember these are just my opinions.
What are YOUR bookish pet peeves?
Goodreads : Becca Winter
Instagram : becca_theory
Twitter : @Becca_Theory
Facebook : The Troubles And Woes Of A Bookworm